1.04.2007

The other day

I wrote this the other day, but couldn't post it because our internet crapped out exactly when it was time to post:

I just watched to moon come up behind the ship. It was crazy beautiful. Bright yellow and the water was black, so the moon's reflection looked like a yellow brick road between it and me. I wish that I could share pictures with you, but I have never been able to take a great picture of the moon from a moving ship. Sad, but that makes it something you just have to experience on your own and it is an experience that is completely unique to you. Even if the same circumstances come up in the future it will never be the same for the next person. Each individual will have an experience all their own.

The water has been eerily calm the last few days and we should be enjoying it while it lasts. Soon we will be in the roaring 40s (latitude) and it will get much rougher. But somehow the calm doesn't have the same effect on me. For some reason, it makes me restless. I spent the last evening, picking up my knitting and putting it down. Picking up a sudoku puzzle and putting it down. Picking up a book and putting it down. I don't know why I have been so restless, but it hasn't been the case today.

With the turn not only into the new month, but also the new year and with a little time on my hands this afternoon I paid all my bills and afterwards created a spreadsheet that includes my monthly income, bills paid, balances left on student loans and even managed to squirrel away about $100 left over from last month into savings. I still have almost $1000 in the bank for the month. This is really unusual. One of the things about being at sea for an extended period of time, especially for a month or more is you get a great picture of how much money you are wasting at home. I still have to pay rent, utilities and loans, but I don't have to pay for food or entertainment or even yarn while on the ship. Usually, my money goes out as fast as it comes in and I don't really have a clear picture of where it is going. Makes me feel really guilty to say the least. Oh well, if I can get organized out here, maybe I can carry that organization back home. HA! Yeah right. We'll see.

So knitting. I ripped the sleeve of my sweater out for the second time and am starting again. The first time I started it I decreased much to slow, then I decreased much to fast and now hopefully I have it just right, but we will have to see. I have a scarf I started in Lion Brand Wool-ease, color wheat. I bought three skeins of it to make leg warmers for my sister and got distracted. I started the scarf with a person in mind but I don't think that is going to happen. On the other hand, I forgot to bring the right size dpns for the leg warmers. I don't know, maybe I will knit them flat and sew them up the back. Again, we'll see.

So I received word from my best friend who was to move to College Station, TX to go to Texas A&M University. He drove from Idaho to Texas in three days and hit snowstorms and tornadoes. That poor guy. Just his luck to have to pass through all that crappy weather on his way to a new home. I'm just glad he doesn't believe in omens. While I will miss him like crazy (I guess I wasn't seeing him while he was in Idaho anymore either, so I will continue to miss him), this move is going to be great for him. I hope he knows he is in my thoughts and I can't wait to see him again this summer. We are lucky enough that his new adviser at TAMU is the PI (principle investigator or chief scientist) on a cruise I will be on this summer. Sixty days of the two of us working and living together and I am looking forward to all the catch up time.

1 comment:

kat said...

i remember sailing in the pacific at 3am with just two of us on duty & how beautiful it was with the moon & the phosoresence (sp?). you can never describe it to someone who hasn't experienced it/