4.04.2007

Warning... **Technical Knitting Content Follows**

So I discovered this week, thanks to a new gal at my knitting group, that I knit differently. Surprise surprise... we all knit a little differently, but it was causing me some issues recently.

So what I do is whether I knit or purl I always pull my yarn up between the two needles. The means I am wrapping the yarn clockwise for a purl stitch and counter-clockwise for a knit stitch. What I now understand "most" other people do is wrap the yarn clockwise for both knit and purl stitches. This means no matter whether one is knitting or purling the stitches all slant the same direction.

The way I do it, they slant opposite directions. I love this because it makes it sooo simple to read my stitches and tell whether I knit or purl the previous row and if it is ribbing or stockinette, it shows me what to do next. I can knit while walking, talking, reading and watching TV and I think a lot of it is I can feel what direction the stitches are with my fingers and I know whether a purl or knit is next, excluding complicated lace patterns of course.

This is a problem in only one way. It affects my decreases. For instance, in my world a k2tog slants to the left (the opposite of what it should), except in the round it slants to the right (another weird side effect of the way I knit, they slant differently in the round than they do back and forth).

I tried the "usual" way today. I am knitting a neck gaiter, 120 sts back and forth and did two rows. Of course I was slowed down because the motion was not what I was used to, but I don't like it and am going back to "my" way. I can make a decrease slant whatever direction a pattern wants, I'm just going to have to think about what they really want, a left or right slanting decrease, then I will be fine :)

On another note, I started Morestripes from knitty.com and hated the way my two different noro silk gardens looked together. I did it their way, then made the stripes wider and I still hated it. So forget that. I'll have to find something else for that noro, but I will still probably make Morestripes, but with two different solid colors instead. Probably Patons Classic Merino.

I completed Calorimetry from Knitty.com except for weaving in the ends. After I do I will take pictures and post them for you.

10 days, no cigarettes!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Don't you love when you figure out that what you are doing wrong and how to fix it!! Good luck! Can't wait to see the pics! Congrats on the 10 days with no smokes!!!! Keep going!!

vagabond bettie said...

I love that Morestripes. It will look gorgeous on you! I'd also like to add my congrats to you on the 10 days, no smoking. EXCELLENT!

Heather said...

Yay for NO SMOKING!!! I put the money I would have spent on a pack into a bucket everyday and then when we went on vacation I spent it! Of course, instead of vacation, you could spend it on yarn!!! $5 a day = $150 a month!

BTW - I knit weird also. When I purl, I throw with my left thumb!