5.16.2007

Knitting instructions that make me mad

You've been Quit 51 days. $98.18 and 2 days, 18 hours of your life saved!

I HATE it when instructions or "helpful" advice is to find something that fits you the way you want it to, in a similar fabric and measure that.

Now I don't know about all the rest of you, but chances are if I am knitting one it is because I don't already have some thing JUST LIKE IT! I don't knit repeats of store bought items. Then I would have a double wardrobe of things I do not like. When I knit for myself it is to add pieces that I love and cannot find elsewhere. Please, never tell someone to do this. Just be as descriptive as you can about the fabric that you are creating and encourage very accurate measurements. Chances are, there is nothing close enough to compare it to.

That said, I am interested in making the Picovoli tee from MagKnits. It is made with negative ease for a close fit, which is where the "measure something like it" instruction comes in. On the positive side, it does give finished measurements and suggested bust sizes for those measurements. Waay more helpful.

1 comment:

kat said...

I'm making a t-shirt sweater too & since I didn't have a sweater that fit me like that (cuz if I did why would I knit one) I actually measured my favorite t-shirt to get the right size & that seems to work pretty well.