4.20.2008

Mid 20's Crisis

So I'm going through a thing and it required me to go home and be with my Mommy. Sometimes you just need to be surrounded by people who love you to remind you how special you are. So I took the entire week off and went home.

In San Diego, my friend Susan and Roomie Jon have both been great to me and let me tell you, if you need distracted. Susan is the Queen. Tuesday night I spent 8 hours at her place untangling yarn knots, winding new balls and watching Project Runway. Thanks Susan.

Anyway, I went home and my Mom is a super star. She got me a massage and a pedicure. Bright pink, just because it isn't normally my style and I need to figure out who I am all over again and pink nails seemed a simple place to start.



I also chopped my hair, it went bye bye! I was keeping it long for a very specific reason which is gone now and I need to start doing things for me. Sorry I don't have any before pics, I always wore it in a ponytail/bun anyway. Well not anymore...



My mom even took me yarn shopping, but I didn't buy any. I did however get Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off, Patons Cables book #500846 to make the Aran Accent Vest and The Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe. I also bought some beads to add to my cousin's Juno Regina shawl.

We also played a lot of board games, ate out alot and tried on her sweater. I'm so glad we did. I blocked the front and back and seamed them to try it on her and it fit great (I'm going to add a little gusset at the seam for the bust though). I was still working on the first sleeve, but I found out the cap was shaped improperly and I only need 200 rows so it was a very successful fitting. I was so happy and she loved it. the color, the weight the neckline. Now if I could just finish those sleeves...

Also this week I was given a gift from my grandmother that is absolutely perfect for a knitter like me and it was completely unexpected. When she was 19, my grandfather wanted a sweater that was all the rage at the time. He insisted on a hunting/pheasant pattern on it. She saved up for months to buy the wool and reknit the colorwork pattern on the back at least three times. She just recently tried to sell it at auction as they are clearing out there house in preparation to sell it, but their were no takers. It wasn't until after that she realized I might be interested in it. Of course I'm interested!








There are some problems with it that I intend to fix and restore her to her former glory. It needs cleaned for starters...



Also there are some places where it wasn't weaved in properly and the yarn is coming unraveled. The color work wasn't stranded right and it is pulling into the center. And every once in a while, there is an entire row of twisted stitches which makes me giggle. She was young when she made it and was never really a "knitter". When I inspect it closely I can see a lot of mistakes. I think that may come from my infinite knitting resource, the internet. I have had access to many more techniques and tricks than she ever was. She worked most of it out on her own, a labor of love and proof the curse of the boyfriend sweater can be beat. It is a beautiful piece of family history and I am so glad she thought of me.

Today, Roomie and I built a wall. Check it out here...

3 comments:

Susan said...

Your new hair cut ROCKS! Glad you had fun at the house with me, Hannah, and Project Runway. Don't forget that I'm waiting to watch the finale with you. We're probably the last two fans that don't know the outcome...well I am since you saw the spoiler by way of Miss USA. See you for dinner and KIP tomorrow. Hang in there!

Jolene said...

Love the pedicure and the hair!

Cynth said...

That sweater... OMG! Belongs in some sort of knitting museum in the exhibit where Bizarre Men's Sweaters are displayed. It's so odd that it's awesome.

I'm dying to come across the vintage printed pattern, just so I can give it to you!