5.22.2008

shipyards, booms and another project


Last week required work at the shipyard in San Diego to work on one of our ships currently in drydock. I love standing underneath the hull of a ship. I spent so much time wondering what is under the surface of the water. I feel like I'm being let in on a secret that few others know.

And on the way to the shipyard Tuesday, we were greeted with this view...
If you haven't heard the news story you can find it here.Turned out to be gas related according to later news stories.

Also, I mentioned a new bus project because all the rest were not very portable. Here it is.


It is a cotton, worsted yarn recycled from a commercially made sweater I bought at a yard sale. It is a very simple yarn-over pattern and today it was chilly enough to make me wish it was done already :) I am taking decent notes so if it works out I will share the pattern with you.

I guess I need to give it a name, how about Belemnite? I can tell you exactly how this name came to be. The purpose is to have a small item, easy to carry to ward off the chill I always feel in air-conditioning. I started knitting it listening to Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling which introduces dementors and patronuses. Well it is basically a patronus right? Keeps the chill away? so I did some thesaurus searching, came up with guard. One definition of a guard is a body part on a Belemnite. A cephalopod (I LOVE cephalopods). So that's what it is. Belemnite.

No comments: