6.25.2008

Defender of the MMORPG

OK many of you have or heard horror stories about people you know or have heard of who play video games, particularly online games to the complete and utter devastation of their lives. Divorces over it. Jobs quit over it. But I am hear to say that it is not the MMORPGs fault.

I played World of Warcraft for years. I might play it again one day and it didn't damage me. It has nothing to do with the fact that I broke up with my boyfriend.

I made many real-life friends through the playing of World of Warcraft who I am still friends with even though I don't play anymore. They have never let the playing of the game dominate their lives. They have children and good jobs. Happy homes and active lifestyles.

Not everyone has good experiences with it like I have. There are people who ruin their lives with the game, and they are pretty much the only ones you hear about. I sympathize with those whose relationships have been lost due to a partners obsessive involvement with a game. But I think it is important to point out that there was probably a lot more wrong and the game was a symptom of it. Not the cause of it. If they didn't have the game, it would be something else, another hobby to lose themselves in.

Don't be a hater. It's not Blizzard's fault. And don't judge others from your past experience or horror stories. Gaming is just like everything else and should be done in moderation.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Ahh! But what about knitting? I know that has taken up way more time and space than my game playing. Although.... I'm sure I would probably be sucked into WoW if I started to play it.