12.11.2008

Knitting a pattern to fit, Ease wha??

So I don't know if you have seen this or not but Knitting Daily has photo galleries of women of different body types working at Knitting Daily wearing the same sample sweaters from Interweave Knits. This way you get to see how it fits different body types and how it looks with varying amounts of positive and negative bust ease. Check it out, very educational.

Now I really should have understood this by now and I think superficially I did, but it really didn't sink in (though Roomie has been trying her damndest to hammer this little detail into my brain). I should knit a smaller size than my actual bust line. I prefer the fit of sweaters with a little negative ease. However, I am scared to death of making something that is too small. Mind you, I have yet to follow a pattern for an actual sweater. I started one, but it was much to small in the stomach and I gave up. I also am halfway through the Aran Accent Vest but that is on hold for a little while.

This has come to my attention recently as I have been trying to write patterns for some of the stuff I have been making lately. In none of them is gauge, let alone ease, important so it isn't a big deal, just something that has caught my attention of late.

In other news, Monday's regular knitting night was at my place this week in order to show off some Lonesome Stone Fibers, play with a spinning wheel and watch a knitting machine in action. It was a blast. I had such a good time and am so glad everyone came. I wish we could do it all the time, but that would require cleaning every week and that just doesn't sound possible from my end. I haven't uploaded my pictures yet, but my super organized Roommate has, check out Knitters Delight to see what a great time we had.

Been very busy. Think I might finish up my Master's Degree and just trying to figure out where I left off has been taking up a lot of my time. The next few years are going to mean very little leisure time on my part and I'm already sad about it. I'm having a hard time focusing on menial jobs at work, though pretty soon hopefully I will consider them a vacation, right now I can't help but think of them as wasted time.

In other news, the Winter '08 edition of Knitty.com is out and I queued up a bunch of new patterns. None of them however will see my needles for possibly years.

Ah Well. Back to menial work.

No comments: