2.19.2009

I take it back

I take back my apology for my Matchbox 20 (yes, before Matchbox Twenty) phase. I was driving a borrowed car the other day and 3 a.m. came on the radio. I'm sorry. I loved it. I still love it. I sang it at the top of my lungs.

I don't listen to the radio much anymore. Don't know why. Because I don't yet have a car? Because I don't own a home stereo (though my new mp3 player has FM, I'm too busy listening to Wil Wheaton's Just a Geek, which will be closely followed by numerous podcasts)? Because I really really hate the commercials and DJs? Because I already have almost everything I want on mp3?

Anyway, 3 a.m. was immediately followed by REO Speedwagon's Can't Fight This Feeling. Which, while it was released a little before I started caring about music (ok a whole decade before I started caring about music), was my High School Sweetheart and I's song. I still think it was absolutely perfect for the two of us and I always look back fondly on our relationship. We didn't have an ugly or messy break up, we just grew up and apart after our freshman year of college and remained friends for a long while. I never wonder what would have happened if we stayed together. I'm sure I already know. But at the time I felt loved, I felt secure and I felt like a good person when I was with him, all of which are not necessarily common emotions for a teenager. I feel like maybe I should have thanked him for all of that.

And for introducing me to Matchbox 20.

Just to work it in here somewhere, Long Day started it all on some kind of free compilation album.

No comments: