7.17.2009

Love me some Oregon


I am once again working aboard Oregon State University's R/V Wecoma out of Newport, OR. We arrived a day or so before we were really needed (mostly because our compressor arrived late, as usual) so I had some time to wander about one of my favorite places on the West Coast to visit. The weather was exactly what I like too. Rainy, cloudy, cool.

Went to Yaquina Head Lighthouse and checked out Cobble Beach and Quarry Cove, we were both a little disappointed to miss low-tide as we wanted to check out the pools, but we saw harbor seals. Agate Beach was also gorgeous, lots of dunes and misty photos.

The food has been fantastic, Rogue beers (Old Crusty is delicious and will knock you on your ass), steamer clams, sides of crab (I am never ordering a dish again without asking if I can get it with a side of crab), fresh berries, marionberry stuffed french toast (it was HUGE!)





I have been a knitting fool working on a baby blanket for a friend of mine who has only just heard the heartbeat. My knitting group had a swap not long before I left. We built a yarn/needle/book mountain in the middle of someone's living room and swapped till we couldn't swap no more. It was a lot of fun. I walked away with 12 skeins of Vanna's Choice and a a blanket that had been started with it which I am expanding on for the baby. There was a pattern in the bag, but I have decided on just randomly placing "bricks" of color and it is coming out semi-log blanket-ish but a little more random.



I'm running out of yarn (not altogether, just traveling with me) and am toying with starting to add modular bricks, so I don't have to add sections the entire length of the blanket. I'm afraid running out would hold me up and who wants to waste knitting mojo? It could never return. Not to mention I would hate to feel like I had to buy more when I got to Newport (found it at the local Fred Meyer) when I have EIGHT more skeins at home.

In other knitting news I found a knitted French press cozy at the Newport Farmer's Market. I never ever thought about that before, but it makes a lot of sense as they are usually glass and glass is not very insulating. They were very cute and usually, when I come across something knitted that I love, my first instinct is to try to work something similar out on my own, sans pattern. However, this time I knew I didn't want to work it out. Someone else had perfected it and knit it up and had it available. Not to mention, she was trying to make a living. So I bought one. I don't have a French press. I'm not that cool, but a certain sister does. And I think she'll love it.

Only a few more days at sea. It is a short trip.

For those reading this on Facebook, you probably want to come to the blog to make sure you see the pictures. Did I mention the steamer clams were FANTASTIC?

4 comments:

Susan said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Great progress on the baby blanket. It looks really nice.

Trifarina said...

Can you get crab with a side of crab? That totally sounds like something I would do.

Tiffany said...

You are super close to me. :)

tangential1 said...

I've seen those french press cozies on Rav! You should totally get a french press; they're super handy! I have a small one I use for tea.

The blanket looks great =)