8.19.2009

I have come to a decision and I think it's the right one.

I know, multiple posts in one day! Don't get used to it.

I have been a member of Ravelry's Atheist & Agnostic Crafters group for almost two years now. I have decided to day that I finally need to leave.

I don't read it very often, but I always get a little sad when I do. There is a lot of hate in there for people with faith. The faithful are often referred to as stupid, ignorant and more. I just don't have that kind of hate in my heart. My biggest problem with organized religions is a lack of acceptance and yet, the Atheist & Agnostic Crafters are devoid of the same acceptance they ridicule the faithful for. I realize I'm generalizing, but I notice this kind of talk in almost every thread and by the most frequent posters.

What I was looking for when I joined was someplace I could go and be understood. Some place where problems in my life would not be referred to as God's plan or told to have faith. Maybe even a place to talk about why we feel and came to be this way.

I don't hate anyone (even though I use that word frequently, I don't think it's true). I respect the faith I see in others. I'm even a little jealous. I do get a little pissed off when someone tries to convert me, or tell me that I am wrong, but that is any person on any topic, not just faith and spirituality.

As a result I have left after almost two years. I am giving a few different atheist groups a try, I Left Fundamentalism Behind, Secular Support and I Believe in Knitting. Maybe somewhere I can find what I'm looking for. If not, maybe I'll just keep on loving everyone on my own.

3 comments:

Susan said...

You know that I a God-loving Christian and you and I fight about.....uh...wait we don't fight.

Different believe systems does not constitute a need to hate, convert, or fight.

I say - you go with your instincts. Sometimes people that have felt bullied or persecuted, become the very thing they say they can't stand. That will not ever be you.

tangential1 said...

I think it's funny that Atheists and Agnostics always get lumped together. Atheism, imo, is just as faith based as any other religion, it's just a faith that there isn't a God. So there's the same faith based disdain and derision there that we usually see from Christianity (obviously generalizing...I know plenty of accepting/understanding individuals of varying faiths). Agnostics are on the fence; there isn't a firm belief either way. So why do we get grouped with Atheists? The mind boggles.

I've decided I'm more of a humanist (go philosophy!). Kind of sounds like you're right there with me. I wonder if they have a Rav group...

JJ said...

Erin, I have to disagree with you about atheism, but I think we can get over that hurdle...

Brandi, I agree that a lot of these groups can become quite toxic. I joined CFBC (Child-free by choice) on Rav, and I had to leave because of the same sort of toxic attitude. Even though I don't like children, I found the attitude really off-putting.