8.14.2009

Meeting IRL

How many knit bloggers out there put off posting a new blog because they haven't uploaded any pictures yet? I know I can't be the only one. That and I have been on the road. I was only home for two weeks before I took off again for New England.

I went to Narragansett, RI to meet the R/V Endeavor and start setting up my next cruise. Then I took a weekend off and road the Amtrak to Jamaica Plains, Boston, MA and stayed with some of the coolest knitters on the planet, Jean and Rich and the beautiful family of kitties and puppy Logan (who is every bit as perfect as his Mommy and Daddy think he is). While I was there we met up with Aaron (the Artist behind NearandFarComic.com) and Melissa. It was a crazy non stop weekend of fun and meeting webfolk in real life which is a mind blower.

I always "knew" these were real people. With homes and puppies and webcomics. I've talked to Aaron on the phone several times. Exchanged emails with Melissa, Jean and Rich. Even exchanged packages. But meeting everyone in person feels a little surreal. I am so glad they let me stay with them. I had a fantastic time.

We toured the Sam Adams Brewery and I got a sick pleasure from knowing that I got toasted before most of the folks I knew were even out of bed on a Saturday morning. Took a "Duck" Tour of Boston and learned a little something. Ate dinner at a very nice place called Masa which features southwestern food. It was good. Lots of flavor. Too spicy for me, but I horded the cornbread, sucked down a mojito and a sangria and it all worked out.

Jean gave me a pair of handknit socks that didn't fit like they were supposed to. They fit me and I have been wearing them at sea. I am now solidly convinced that I want nothing but hand knit socks on my feet when I am wearing my steel-toed boots. Therefore, I need to start knitting socks. Damnit.

Jean, Melissa and I had participated in a swap and so we decided to open our swap gifts together at Masa. I got super cool Raveler benchley1 who knit me my very own GIR from Invader Zim (he has slept with me every night since) and a Brea Bag, lined with a leather handle in a beautiful green. Some Knit Picks Elegance in Grass was thrown in there to knit Convertible from knitty.com. It was also filled with all kinds of candy goodness from Mr. Willy Wonka, Dr. Suess Green Eggs and Ham pads, post-its and pencils a sweet coffee mug and juice glass. I can't wait to finish my baby blanket and get working on Convertible.


Speaking of baby blanket I am back at sea somewhere near Martha's vineyard and progress continues on the baby blanket I started last month. Since we headed out to sea we have had nothing but problems and I have not had the opportunity to knit much, but I get in a few rows before bed while I watch an episode of Battlestar Galactica. Hopefully pretty soon we will have found a rhythm and everything will be running and I can knit more and watch more BSG.

I should get back to work so I can get some stuff out of the way and get knitting.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Was so great meeting you guys too! :)

I'll try to get the pics up as soon as I can! I'm such a slacker!

Susan said...

Thanks for the update Brandi. I miss you!