10.07.2009

Smoked Turkey Tail and Bean Soup.

I made this up as I went along but popular demand (two of The Sweet Stitchin' Betties of the Fort Lauderdale/Broward area totally constitute popular demand) means I write it up. I originally sent these instructions to my sister. Sure hope I removed all the personal content!

I found at Albertson's something I have never seen before, I made soup out of it and it was so good. I make my soup before I go to sleep to cook overnight and go into my thermos hot in the morning for lunch then eat it for several meals and lunches over several days. My crock pot is only a few quarts, up or downsize as necessary.

You will need the following:
~4 smoked turkey tails (You could probably use necks which I saw too, but I went for the high fat fewer bones of the tail)
3 cans beans. I used 1 can light red kidney, 1 can garbonzo and 1 can great northern white beans. But I really just used what I could find in Albertson's brand for less than a dollar.
1 can low sodium chicken broth. Bet turkey or vegetable would work fine.
1/2 an onion chopped
~4 garlic cloves chopped up (or you can use garlic powder or garlic salt, but then don't use a lot of salt on top of it.)
Salt and pepper.

Seriously, that was it. Put it all into the crock pot and leave it on low overnight. In the morning, pull out the turkey tails and pull them apart to get at the meat and trash most of the fat and bone and eat it.

It has a delicious smoke-y and slightly sweet brown sugar-y flavor and ate like a thin chili. Finely chopped or shredded carrots could make a wonderful addition to this. It was great with Extra Sharp Cheddar, but really what isn't. If you make it I would love to hear your comments or suggestions.

3 comments:

Trifarina said...

Thanks for the recipe! I've been thinking about getting a crock pot and trying that for dinners again... I may have wait until the humidity plummets to 2000% until I eat hot soup though.

skully said...

Sounds delicious! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Susan said...

You know I never got to taste this one from you. Is the one in the freezer up for a tasting tonight?