10.03.2009

Worms are movin' on up.

I spent today preparing the next tray for our worm bin. I have mentioned before that I purchased my worm bin and I really like the tray system. It took us a while but we finally filled our first tray and are ready to upgrade to a two tray, what Susan and I like to call, "condo". We might have condos on the brain around here.

Anyway, you do not need to purchase special equipment to get your own worm bin, if in fact you were curious. You can build your own cheaply and customize it to fit your home. The important things to keep in mind are drainage (Collect moisture that drains out. It is a valuable fertilizer as it leaches goodies out of the compost above and can be used long before the soil is ready for planting.) and airflow. The tray system is great for this because the bottoms are full of holes that allow the moisture to drip out and collect in spigoted tray while also allowing the worms and air to move through the trays. And keeps waste in various stages of composting separate. For instance the most composted is always in the bottom tray and the upper trays are working trays. Only adding food to the working trays the worms will work their way up to the fresh food as they exhaust it in the bins below.

Below is a fun instructional video on how to make your own single bin system.



I want to emphasize that you can use any size bin that works for you, the amount of waste you create and the space that you have available.

The video below features a bin similar to mine and demonstrates feeding.



Susan and I like to keep a small plastic container in our kitchen that we fill with scraps and waste. We chop the food up before we serve it to them every couple of days. The smaller the pieces the faster it is composted. Worms have tiny little mouths you know. Freezing, pureeing or microwaving your waste first will speed up the process as well as help keep other pests out.

Did I ever mention, I love our worms?

I am also starting to think about what I want to plant for the fall season. It is time to replace those nonexistent cucumbers and remove the tomatoes now that they have stopped producing. I'm thinking maybe leeks, spinach and carrots? We'll see what I can find at the garden centers.

2 comments:

Trifarina said...

I vote potatoes.

brandilion said...

Not a bad idea Trifarina. I did just find this article about it and it sounds simple for containers, however, it also says most nurseries get their seed potatoes in January, leading me to believe it is a spring thing in San Diego...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060122/news_1hs22sage.html