11.19.2009

not so pretty pictures, but lots of awesome things.

Christmas knitting has been completed but I only made two hats so it was hardly a marathon. another hat is in my bag with me at a meeting in Seattle, but it is a gift unrelated to the holidays.


Recently I bought a Fidelis spinning wheel from Heavenly Handspinning second hand thanks to the magic that is Ravelry. There were initial complications.
1- the drive band felt loose and was slipping so I shortened it.
2- couldn't get enough tension on the flier but with some adjustment and help from Ravelry I got around that.
3- pedal/treadle tore out of the wheel rod and I solved that with a hose clamp.
I finally got to sit down and learn to pedal and draft at the same time, but after all the fixing I had to do I wasn't looking forward to touching it again. After a few days I finally sat down and produced Charlie. Everyone, I would like you to meet Charlie...

Then I produced Branson. Everyone, I would like you to meet Branson...

I used roving purchased from The Sheep Shed Studio which are mill ends from Brown Sheep, but I'm not sure what kind of wool they are. My limited experience has me guessing merino, but I need to ask.

I have begun another baby blanket. Basix 3x3 ribbing in Patons Shetland Chunky Tweed in Earthy Brown and Dark Forest green. I am almost 3/4 of the way completed already as it is so simple. It has become my movie/busy knitting. But it is so large already, it is not my travel. knitting.

This is my first time using this yarn and I like it. The color choice for a baby is non-traditional but seems much more in the taste of the family it is going too.

I have come to Seattle, WA for a mix of business and pleasure. I have too many friends in the area to not have a good time even tough I am sent on business. I love Seattle. It makes me want to sing and dance around lamp posts bundled in wool handknits and clutching a coffee.

When I boarded the plane i was wearing my own Olive Striped Raglan and I watched another woman board in a beautiful red-orange top down raglan hoodie pullover. She said the pattern was Wonderful Wallaby and just raved about it (RavLink). I just love to go somewhere that hand knits are worn, appreciated and needed.

I got to thinking about how an experienced knitter can spot hand knits a mile away in the wild and the cues that allow it. I know it comes with experience, but what exactly are the cues that they see. Are seamless patterns more likely to be hand knit? Is garter stitch more difficult on a machine? Are finer gauges more likely to have been machine knit? Excessive color work usually machine knit? I mean hand knitters wear machine knits frequently and non knitters can be spotted wearing hand knit gifts so the presence of knitting needles is non conclusive. There is nothing that works all the time and yet when I see a hand knit I usually know right away. How do I do that?

1 comment:

semi-crazy blonde girl said...

I'm still very impressed with your yarn. It is so pretty! Have you decided what you are going to turn them into yet?

I need to learn how to knit well as quickly as possible. The sweater you linked on Rav is adorable! Both of my kids need one. :)