6.11.2010

Chain ply weaker? Really?

le sigh.

I love you internet, but sometimes, you just hurt me. Above is the topic of a question I asked on Ravelry in the Spin Tech group.

I love this group. It is a wealth of information about spinning techniques. One of the regulars is Abby of the book Respect the Spindle. This is a great introductory book. It introduces a lot of topics. I myself recently purchased it in Alexandria, VA.

Now I had heard, often, that a chain plied yarn is weaker than a traditional 3 ply yarn. There is some supporting theory behind this, for instance it is all one strand, meaning if one strand breaks the whole thing could in the end break. Fair enough, although I feel fairly impossible in a knitted or crocheted garment.

Another argument is that if wool is scaled and has a direction you could cause excessive abrasion between singles. I don't really think this has any merit since unless you are spinning from the lock, you have no idea what direction the individual fibers are facing.

What I really wanted from this discussion, and I clarified several times, is to hear about failures. If any yarn you knit has fallen apart, and how was it plied? and was it fixable?

Instead what I got was a lot of generalizing, and no stories about actual breakage. Quickly the thread was jacked, I was mocked for asking and the topic was considered beat to death, but it was never actually covered. No one had any stories for me about it. And the topic is so far gone it is hardly even worth looking at the thread any more.

I personally can't help but feel that groups about techniques or the technology behind spinning should be references. Places to ask questions and find answers. I'm frequently disappointed by Ravelry when I am harshly reminded that an internet forum is an internet forum. Even when it is composed of what I consider the coolest people on the planet, knitters and spinners.

It also hurts when an author I respect on a subject, belittles my questions. You don't have to answer them, but making mocking them is hurtful.

9 comments:

Susan said...

That just sucks!

vagabond bettie said...

smug bitches!

semi-crazy blonde girl said...

I'm sorry. That is such crap. I've run into the same thing on writing forums. Unfortunately knowledge often leads to smugness and people not caring how they are making other people feel.

Trifarina said...

Unlike fight club, the first rule of Ravelry is "be excellent to each other." These people have failed. That's seriously stupid as an author of an instructional book to take that kind of attitude. (BTW I have no idea even what chain ply is, they have a field day with me.)

Rosemary said...

Hang in there. All of Ravelry isn't so mean, but you do have to put on your suit of armor to wade into the spinning forums. Smugness and hostility galore!

Rosemary

BeadKnitter said...

Ravelry, in general, is a cool place. So sorry you had that experience. Even on Ravelry, the members are humans, some of them not nice humans.

I've run into problems when I post things about blocking acrylic. I've taken classes on blocking from people in the professional garment industry, and I've been blocking it for 40 years. You'd think I'd know what I'm talking about. Some folks actually get hostile. I figure it sucks to be them. ;-)

vagabond bettie said...

I almost got my head tore off when I dared to admit that I fed my dog raw beef bones!

Dudleyspinner's Tie Dye Rovings said...

Did you see that someone actually did a test? I agree with you that the directionality of the spinning combed top which is generally brought up is bogus. Don't let the big dogs get you down, they only think they are the final word on everything.

brandilion said...

Thanks everyone, I did see the test Dudley, that was great. Although after they ridiculed me right out of the forum.

After posting, many people said I had a great question. I might do myself a test in the near future, if I keep myself interested enough to knit three separate plies. :)