8.25.2010

#PAgamesdialog

Some of you in the Twitterverse may have become aware of a discussion regarding THQ's decision to sell games with a one time use code for some features. That way when a used copy of the game is sold, second hand users have to buy a code from THQ to unlock all the features of the game.

This decision results from the fact that THQ sees no proceeds from second hand sales and Gamestop is a large target for this argument.

Let's think about this for a minute, this is not a subject that is new and it applies to music, movies, artists and more.

1 - If I purchase a game used and I love it. That franchise has just made a fan. A fan that in the future will likely pay for a new copy of sequels in the future. While indirectly supporting the developer, it is good for them in the long run should their product be awesome.

2 - I am busted ass broke. I LOVE video games and I don't think anyone who knows me would argue. However I am still without a Wii, which I desperately want. Why is that? It's because I know I cannot afford the $60 price tag on most games these days. So not only do I have to pay exorbitantly for the console, but then I can't afford the games to play on it. I KNOW I am not the only person who has this problem. If developers cut the cost of a game by half, I believe their market would explode exponentially. Meaning there would be way more new sales and more money directly to the developer, rather than people waiting for used copies to become available. Gamers and developers alike are then happy.

Some arguments that have come up, THQ's plan is like selling a used car without the tires. Well that's not true. When you buy a car, you are purchasing a physical object. This doesn't mean you can drive it. When you buy a game you aren't necessarily paying for something you can hold. Thanks to things like Steam (which I LOVE) and digital downloads, you aren't paying for a physical object you are paying to experience that object.

The cost of developing games with bigger and better graphics, options, etc is rising. This is true. But once the game is made it is made. Sell it for cheaper, to a much bigger audience and you will see all the proceeds. Isn't a large part of the demand for used games thanks to the massive new price tag?

You can follow this discussion on Twitter by looking for the hastag #PAgamesdialog started by Gabe at Penny Arcade

If you are interested in my Twitter Geek you can follow me at bm0nies

No comments: