12.12.2010

For the Patient

So I began the project years ago.  I suppose I could look back through my email account to figure out when I bought the yarn.  Or when I wrote my cousin excitedly to tell her I had picked out the yarn and pattern for her shawl.  But we’ll just stick to, I started it a long time ago.

Once I wanted to finish it in time for her Christmas present.  Then I hoped to have it finished for her to wear to her Mom’s wedding the following July.  Then I just kind of gave up.  Why has this been so hard to work on?

The pattern must be complicated? No.  Pretty darn simple, largely stockinette with a few yarn overs and decreases added.  Well the, the yarn must be horrible to work with? Not really.  I mean it is mohair and silk and very fuzzy, making rip outs a nightmare (so instead I leave most of my mistakes in it, don’t look too closely).  But it is really so soft to the touch.  A dream to pet in my lap.  What then has taken me so long?  I really don’t know, but I suspect it lies somewhere in this…

When I started this project it was so light.  I decided that adding some clear glass seed beads would give it some weight and sparkle.  Which they really do.  The weight seems just right for keeping it draped tightly on the shoulders on a cool night.  The twinkling glass winks at me on occasion while I’m working and I am totally enchanted.

It did however provide a minor logistic issue.  It is my first beaded knitting project.  So I strung what I thought was “a whole bunch’ of beads before I started.  I am only adding 17 beads every other row.  That whole mess of beads I had pre-strung needed to be slid down the yarn frequently.  About three times a row really.  This resulted in some yarn snaps if I tried to push too many together.

So I had a genius idea.  I would knit this with two different balls of yarn.  One for the beaded row, the other for the pattern row.  This meant moving off the straights I had started with and onto circular needles.  Well I didn’t have size  2 circulars at the time, so I went shopping.

I got a set of Boye’s aluminum circulars and got started.  But the cable join was not smooth and I had to do a lot of manipulating to get the yarn slid back and forth on the circulars which is required when you are knitting from two different balls.

I put it aside out of frustration until I could get a new set of needles.  I went to the grand opening of a new yarn store with brands from Mexico, including knitting needles I had never heard of or used before.  So I picked up a size two and brought it home.

Well guess what, U.S. size 2 describes two different needles, 2.75 mm and 3 mm diameters.  W. T. F.?!?  You know I only figured this out when I got the wrong size.  So I decided to take the needles back and swap them.  But in the last year, I haven’t been anywhere near that yarn store again.  It is much further south than my usual business zone and I never had another reason to go down there.

So I still have those needles.  Sitting around somewhere.  I don’t know if I ever used them or not.  But not too long ago, I made a Knit Picks order.  And I ordered both sets of size 2s just to be damn sure.  Then it sat for some reason.  By this time other projects had come and gone and I was always more excited about something else.

Well I am moving again and I went on a stash purge.  I gave away a considerable amount of yarn and found many WIPs that need attention, including this baby.  And my Sylvi which upon reflection would make a fantastic spring jacket for my new home in Seattle.  So next I will muster up the desire to work on that one.

Until then, I have added to inches to the Juno Regina, it’s going swimmingly again and it feels so lovely to the touch.

No comments: