2.01.2011

Awesome Things

Have you seen the website 1000 Awesome Things? It is my new favorite thanks to my Seattle Sister who introduced us. If you haven't seen it you should definitely check it out. The author was even invited to a TED Talk (also awesome, if you haven't seen any of those, get over there as well). It is all about the little things in our lives that are awesome. It feels good to read. Says even I, the one who believes anything with a happy ending that isn't animated is just plain hokey and unrealistic.

Lately I have had some struggles, months of them. And yet, small things happen that, if only for a fleeting moment make me feel a little better.

I have set sail on the Barnes once again (Hello little guy! Did you miss me?) and at the end of the day yesterday I pulled off my beanie after being out in the cold and scratched the matted hair from my scalp with a toe curling "aaaaaahhhh". That, was an awesome thing.

So, in an attempt to make myself feel better and focus instead on these little moments of bliss, you will get every day of this cruise (pending cell signal status) one of my awesome moments. You got yesterday's goose bump inducing head scratching moment.

Today is the sound of ice cracking. We steamed past the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility. The thinnest sheet of ice was on the sound and as the wake of the ship hit the smooth ice there was the most satisfying crunching sound. It took me back to chilly school days on the walk to the bus in the morning. Tiny puddles in the dirt road would be frozen over. I would go out of my way to step on every single one between my parents house and the bus stop. With every crunch, would come a little thrill. That, was an awesome thing.

4 comments:

Riane said...

Tibbs is the one who showed me all the Awesome Things! Looking forward to reading what you come up with each day.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know about Awesome Things but I like your perspective and I'm also looking forward to hearing what makes your day. Reminds me of my dinner conversation with the kids when they were little. I'd ask them to tell me their up and their down for the day. Because everyday has both.

Love, Aunt Dawn

Anonymous said...

You are AWESOME! I am so proud of you! Your sister is AWESOME! And so is you AUNT DAWN! Such neat, neat women...luv u all, and wish I
could hug you all!
G*G

Janna said...

I love this, you are so right, every day has something, I am going to start looking for it, too :)