9.13.2011

I do not mind mistakes in my knitting. Usually I'll just gloss right over them.  If I have an extra stitch I'll find an inconspicuous place to work a k2tog.  In colorwork patterns, if it is more than a row back, I'll probably leave it and make it a "Where's Waldo" type of game for future recipients.  They don't bother me too much and I'm knitting for the joy of the knitting. Mostly.  I mean I do know that the finished object will be sweet, even with a few mistakes.  Besides, you want everyone to know you are wearing a hand knit anyway right? Not because they look the best, but because someone loved you enough to be concerned about your warmth.

This double knitting project I started is working really hard to test the limits of my relaxed attitude toward mistakes however.  I described to you the trials of casting on and I continued in a painstaking manner to knit an inch or so.  Then, no matter how hard I tried to pretend it wasn't true, I realized I had way too many stitches and it was coming out much too large.  So I ripped it all out and cast it on again with a size smaller needle and only 80 sts.  It looks a little more realistic-ly head sized  now.

I continue to have problems finding a happy place for my yarn in my hands.  I thought I would outsmart it by knitting one side at a time: one row front, one row back, repeat. However, while it was a little more comfortable, I don't think it went any faster.  And it would prove to be a problem when it comes time to work the color chart I chose.

There are several places where I made color mistakes already: expanses of maroon stockinette peppered with the grey from the backside, or horizontal grey stripes with three or four maroon stitches in a row.  I just hope, that in the end, the snowflake pattern I chose can still be picked out of the field of mistakes.

No comments: