2.10.2014

Combined Knitting

I  may have explained this once.  If you've heard this story, you can't stop me.

I learned to purl "backwards".  But I didn't know it at the time. I didn't know it for about 5 or 6 years actually.  The only "tell" was that SSK and K2TOG decreased leaned in the exact same direction. Having only ever read about left leaning and right leaning decreases I figured it was some fabric thing that I couldn't see, unless I squint at my project really *really* hard.  So all my decreases leaned to the left and I accepted that as perfectly and totally normal.

And then I knit the Branching Out scarf and the sl2-k1-p2sso would not become a centered double decrease no matter what I did to it. I figured out if I slipped and twisted each stitch individually, then it would work.  It was starting to become apparent that something weird was going on.

I brought it up to my knitting group.  I mentioned that none of my decreases looked right but no body had any ideas. Then one day, just glancing at my work, someone noticed that I was purling funny.  Lo' and behold everything started to click into place.  All the times I tried to show someone how I did something and that one person not understanding.  Why decreases never came out for me.

Once I learned what the "problem" was, it was easy to fix.  I can know purl any old way I want as long as I understand what the end product should be and I account for it. I still purl "backwards" when I rib so that I can tell without glancing at it when it is time to knit and when it is time to purl.

Today I found out that there is a Combined Knitters group on Ravelry.  And some of these knitters are trying to make the same mistake that I unknowingly made for 6 years.

Well don't that beat all...

1 comment:

PriestessRaven said...

that always dives me batty, you fight with it over and over and then it just clicks and you feel like a dummy for not seeing it in the first place.